Thursday, January 31, 2013

Near Grafton Finished

Near Grafton- 8" x 10" oil by Greg Newbold
I just finished up another of the paintings I began on location in and around Zion National Park. This one, painted on the road to Grafton (the ghost town used in the film Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid) shows a morning view toward Zion. Though I risk losing a bit of the spontaneity of brushwork when I go back into pieces after the fact, I think the trade off in clarity is usually worth it. I like this one better now that I have worked it a little more. i focused primarily on atmospheric value adjustments, edges and added a bit of missing detail. Some folks can capture all that in the field, but I am not there yet. See the field process in a previous post here. This piece will be sent to my gallery Williams Fine Art as soon as it is dry.

2 comments:

Brad Teare said...

That is a sweet painting!

Unknown said...

Thanks Brad. It was one of those spots that screamed to be painted when I saw it.