Friday, June 8, 2012

In Maynard Dixon's Footsteps

Fields of Toquerville- Maynard Dixon, 16 x 20; oil- 1933
I traveled to Zion National Park to paint last month with fellow Artists David Meikle  and Ron Spears. Along the way we tried to find some of the vistas that Maynard Dixon painted including this place just a few miles outside of Zion in Toquerville, Utah. Below is my photo of the same place.


Funny how very little the view has changed since Dixon painted it in 1933. We even arrived at this place at roughly the same time of day based on shadows. Dixon probably painted his version maybe around 9:00-10:00 am. I am looking forward to painting my own version sometime in the future.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That sounds like the beginning of a fun challenge, sortof picking up where the pigs left off. I think it would be really fun to see a show of plein air paintings by contemporary artists that pick up where another artist left off. You should do it!

Joyeeta Neogi said...

Superb again !! You are very talented! I love strolling through your blog! The painting looks more beautiful than the pic!

Unknown said...

Mary- that could be a fun experiment.
Joyeeta- I agree that Maynard Dixon's painting is far more compelling than the photo I took at that same spot. I think Dixon's powers or editing and design are evident in the way he leads the eye through the scene. I hope my version comes close when I paint it someday.