Tuesday, March 20, 2012

My Drawing in the Getty


Hey, I have a drawing in the Getty Museum! Well, sort of. During my MFA studies, my friends Ron Spears, Mike Wimmer and I had a chance to spend the afternoon at the Getty.

l-r; Mike Wimmer, Ron Spears and me drawing in the Getty

On a whim we decided to sketch for a while in the sketching gallery that they have set up in one of the galleries where you can draw from a selection of paintings and sculptures on display. We all settled in to draw the dynamic marble sculpture of the discus thrower that was in the center of the gallery. It was a fun experience and if you ever get a chance to do it, I highly recommend it.

Me drawing away at the Getty

After 30 or 40 minutes, we hung our drawings up on the display board and left them there for all to enjoy. Since all drawings that are left become the property of the Getty, I technically have a piece of my art in the Getty collection!


Well I suppose it's possible that it was only briefly in the Getty collection before it made its way to the L.A. Department of Sanitation collection, but who knows? maybe it is still there. One can hope right?

5 comments:

Amy said...

Nice drawing. Perhaps it went to a better file than the circular one!

Unknown said...

I hope so!

Anonymous said...

That was a perfect day! I hope we can do that again soon!

Julia Kelly said...

Wow- and now there is on degree of seperation between me and someone who has art in the Getty!
when i was there-i was so impressed by DiVinci's sketchbooks- he had to redraw hands and redraw hands again- i forget that when you are only looking at the masterpieces behind the ropes!

Unknown said...

Ron- I hope to do it again- Great time, great company!
Julia, I hear you- we forget about all of the failures that lead up to the masterpiece. Many artists destroy their failures to not leave any evidence. I am sure there will be many of my stinkers laying around for those who want to look hard enough...